Friday, November 9, 2012

Seedling Identification

After spending some time in the overgrown brush areas of my yard, or my "woodlot" as I would love to be able to call it truthfully one day - I realized that I have no idea what a black walnut seedling looks like, or a chestnut, cherry, hackberry, etc. So for my sake I have pictures of the seedlings and young trees of the species that I have on my "woodlot" here for my reference. I have excluded Maples, as even in my ignorance I can identify those :)

List of Tree species I have observed -

- Black walnut
- Maples - Have not specified yet which type of maples. I know I have at least a couple different types
- Cherry (Black Cherry I think)
- Chinese Chestnut
- Oak (Not sure which variety, but there are two that have yet to produce acorns)
- Hackberry
- Box Elder (Which I learned today is a member of the Maple Family)
- Osage Orange
- Eastern Hemlock (I think)
- Pines - Maybe spruce - have long needles but have not identified them yet.
- Buckeye  - Not sure which variety, but it's the biggest buckeye tree I have ever seen.

Black Walnut seedling - (Photo by Hilton Pond)

Black Walnut seedling (Photo by Megrje)
Black Cherry

Black Cherry
Chinese Chestnut


Osage Orange
Eastern Hemlock


No comments:

Post a Comment